8 fun ways to enjoy your hummus
Hummus has definitely become more popular in India today than it has ever been in the past. Hummus is a delightfully tastier and healthier alternative to most dips or spreads that you find in most grocery stores. There are many different ways in which hummus can be incorporated in regular meals and snacks. Check out 8 different ideas to enjoy your hummus. You’ll surely be eating more hummus!
1. Hummus ice cream: Yes, there is hummus ice-cream! Yes, hummus flavored ice-cream is a real thing! A delicacy in Israel, this one is sure to get your mouth watering. Add milk, beat and freeze the hummus this summer, to beat the hot, sultry Delhi heat. Garnish with dates.
2. Grilled pizza with spicy hummus, vegetables and cheese: Sounds unusual doesn’t it? Trust us, this a must try for all pizza lovers! Trade in the tomato sauce for some hummus, and you’ll be in heaven. We like this best on a crunchy cream cracker (the best part of pizza crust) and sprinkled with a little fresh-grated parmesan/goat cheese. Or add your favorite pizza veggies-the only limit is your imagination.
3. Hummus mashed potatoes: Who doesn’t love mashed potatoes? Instead of adding in loads of sour cream, why not throw some flavorsome hummus into it? Stir in a little butter, salt, and a big batch of your favourite hummus. And believe it or not, it works! Hummus mashed potatoes are easy and oh-so delicious! They are healthier than regular mashed potatoes. Hummus flavored mashed potatoes pair nicely with kebabs, lamb stew, or chicken with Greek seasoning
4. Hummus avocado sandwich: Hummus is a perfect substitute for any kind of sandwich spread. Using hummus on your sandwich as an alternative to mayo or nut butters is a great way to lower the fat content of your meal while adding a distinct flavor. Slather bread with hummus and throw in some sliced tomatoes, avocados, and lettuce, your lunch worries are sorted!
5. Traditional hummus with pita and falafel: Don’t break tradition. Stick with a falafel. Wrap it in a crisp pita, plate up with some olives, feta cheese and pickled vegetables and you have a comfort food for yourself. Shake things up with your favourite roasted red pepper hummus or garlic hummus and pair with whole wheat pita to go the healthy route.
6. Hummus with raw veggies makes for a quick, healthy snack. It’s simple and easy to assemble. Fill a serving bowl with the hummus of your choosing and surround the bowl with assorted raw vegetables such as sugar snap peas, sliced cucumber or zucchini, carrot or cherry tomatoes and you are good to go!
7. Hummus wrap: Hummus is creamy, packed with flavours and guilt free. Add hummus to any wrap you’re making – paneer, chicken, mutton – it’s delicious in taste, and very healthy for you.
8. Egg on toast, tomato and hummus: Breakfast it up! Yes, that’s right, hummus in the morning. This hearty and healthy combination is sure to become a main request in your house. This is also a very versatile dish, easy to make even if you are lacking an ingredient.